Friday, August 14, 2009

My Processor's Point of View



Ang Dipolognon
The Rotary Club of Dipolog Weekly Bulletin
Issue No. 2, August 12, 2009


“I am smiling because…”



Eight hours… Eight long hours… that’s how long I’ve seated in the sofa watching the burial of my beloved, our beloved… President Corazon Aquino. A Filipina by blood, a mother to her son and daughters, an icon to many, and the mother of Philippine democracy. I was just three years old then when her husband senator Ninoy was shot and died. I was only six then when the people power revolution erupted.

You maybe asking me this, what was your idea then? I can’t answer you if you want to hear my thoughts of her being the nations president, I can’t answer you if you want to hear how she fought the dictator. I can’t answer you if you want to hear how she put the pieces to together and built a country again. But one thing for sure, I can answer you if you want to hear, in my own thoughts, who is Cory.

I never thought of her as our then President. I never thought of her as the David who beat goliath many years ago. I never thought of her as the wife of a slain senator. I thought of her as a mother, a servant, an example, and an inspiration.

It takes something in oneself to become someone. It takes mountains to reach a paradise; it takes a country to bring a democracy. It takes a whole world for Cory to set us free.

I’m maybe young then, but after all I am thankful for what she did (according to many), I am thankful and grateful for her courage to stand and fight. I admire her for serving our country; I was overwhelmed with her for being responsible, strong and dedicated. Her unselfishness. Her passion to serve. She changes many Filipinos lives. “Bayan muna bago pamilya bago sarili…” I wonder how she managed to do all of this.

A question popped out from my mind, was she a Rotarian? I can see the “service above self” in her. Just like her, Rotarians care more with their community, they gave hope to the hopeless, and they gave food to the hungry and water to the thirsty. Rotarians fight for good health, Rotarians fight for better education, they put smiles in everyone’s face, and they touch, change lives and Rotarians make a difference.

I am smiling because I am a Filipino and I’m proud of it. I am smiling because I belong to the rotary and I find joy in it.

No comments:

My life, my everything...

Don't grow up so fast anak 😂